Back to General Discussions

Shaft Spining

• 3:10PM - Aug 28, 2008RE: Shaft Spining

Report This

tyro, you bring up a good point in that I actually have demonstration shafts here in the design studio that I show students when they come through here. These shafts are terrible and oscillate in many different directions meaning they have a wicked spine and are basically not playable. All of these shafts are either poor quality OEM shafts or very cheap poor quality shafts that were mostly put in very cheap golf clubs. Notice that I said, “Very cheap shafts of poor quality”, because there are some very good shafts on the market that are very inexpensive, so this is why you cannot simply use price alone. I do not find poor quality anymore in top grade shafts as I have said in previous posts. Part of my lecture in the studio is telling the students that the easiest way to detect a shaft like this is exactly as you described and that is that when any shaft is inconsistent by hitting in all directions meaning hitting it left, right, low and high at random then you may have a shaft problem. As far as I am concerned the solution here is to throw the shaft away and install a high quality shaft if you want to save the driver. When a shaft is this bad, you do not want to try and save it by orientating it in some manner to make it work.

So, while every top quality shaft will always have some sort of a spine you can find, none of our testing has shown any difference in performance by orientating it with the spine in some certain direction. Remember now that we are talking about top grade shafts here with the point being not to play with shafts of very poor quality

• 7:32AM - Aug 27, 2008Spining

Report This

Dear Ralph, I have a OEM 425 cc driver that consistently sprayed the ball over a 50 yard arc. We placed the club on a frequency tester and found the oscillation to be extreme. The club was disassembled, spined and the shaft was oriented with the spine facing the direction of intended flight (face of the club). It was epoxied in place and retested. The oscillation was now in a straight line with the face moving back and forth to the intended direction of the ball flight. Once again we tried the club with significantly improved ball flight. The arc of spray was reduced significantly down to 20 yards, feel changed so the club was sensed better during the swing, distance was better, and consistency improved.

This process was done with all of my clubs and the feel improved, direction was better, and consistency of play improved. Is this a fluke in my OEMs or real results from spining the club shafts?

Tyro

• 10:04AM - Aug 22, 2008RE: Shaft Spining

Report This

drumdude96, here is what our guru (Jim) at the GolfWorks says about the Ping shaft markings. Hope it helps.

Ralph,

If it is a Dynamic Gold, it would be silked screened on the butt end of the shaft under the grip. The code should be DGIS3 and then the raw shaft length would be listed say 39” for a raw length 5 iron shaft. I am wondering if it is possibly the Dynamic Gold Lite, http://www.truetemper.com/golf/shadow/DYNAMIC%20GOLD%20LITE%20TAPER.pdf. Possibly part of the silk screen is worn away. The stock shaft listed for the I3 Blades from Ping was the JZ which has a series of short steps just below the grip but it would not have been silk screened with Dynamic Gold. The Dynamic Gold SL taper tip still has the 1.75” steps. http://www.truetemper.com/golf/shadow/DYNAMIC%20GOLD%20SL%20TAPER.pdf The only other Dynamic Gold I could think of would be the new High Launch. It has a shorter step pattern but TT does not have the drawings on their web site yet. It would also be silk screened High Launch.

Jim

• 1:09PM - Aug 20, 2008RE: Shaft Spining

Report This

drumdude96, good question, I’ll try to get an answer for you.

• 12:51PM - Aug 20, 2008RE: Shaft Spining

Report This

Thanks for the reply, Ralph. And while we’re talking about shafts, I have a question for you. I just bought a set of PING I3 blades and the shafts that are in them have the Dynamic Gold silk screening towards the tip end. However, the step pattern is only about an inch or so. I know the steps on taper tip DG’s are 1.75 inches, so there is no way that these are really Dynamic Gold’s, is there? In my opinion, they did this to stoke golfer’s egos, but I’m a little ticked off because I do need a high kick shaft to keep the ball flight down. Is this practice common amongst the OEM’s?

• 12:29PM - Aug 20, 2008RE: Shaft Spining

Report This

drumdude96, every shaft, whether graphite or steel will always have multiple spines that can be detected. The point is that it is so small on top grade shafts that there is no playing advantage in doing anything about it. If I personally thought that spineing would help me either for real or mentally, I would do it in a heartbeat.

• 9:20PM - Aug 19, 2008RE: Shaft Spining

Report This

Is this true even for steel shafts? I’ve seen demonstrations of steel shaft spining and it seems like they have a definite spine. The tool rotates them back to the exact same spot every time. Or have they just found a way to dupe us out of more money?

• 2:51PM - Aug 19, 2008RE: Shaft Spining

Report This

drumdude96, “pured” or “spineing” (same thing) is a waste of money with the consistency of todays top grade shafts. maop99 is correct.

• 9:20AM - Aug 15, 2008RE: Shaft Spining

Report This

I asked the same question (is spining same as puring?) to Mr. Maltby a few months back….yes its the same….. and I remember reading a post by mr. Maltby saying that he has not seen any real or significant proof / results that a spined or pured shaft will benefit a player more compared to a “not spined or not pured” shaft

• 10:19PM - Aug 14, 2008Shaft Spining

Report This

Mr. Maltby, are there any really significant benefits to spining your gof shafts, or is this just a gimmick? People claim increased accuracy and distance with spined shafts, but are these claims justified? Also, is spining as good as having your shafts Pured?