Back to General Discussions

EYE2 SwingWeight

• 11:06AM - Apr 1, 2008RE: EYE2 SwingWeight

Report This

alchemist, you can use a .600 butt extension, just shim it to hold it in place as the epoxy dries.

1/4” in additional club length will only get you about 3 or 4 yards.

Don’t put lead tape high on the back of any club to lower the trajectory because you could make it less solid feeling at impact. trajectory is lowered by loft and stiffening the shaft or using one that is more tip stiff.

• 10:31AM - Apr 1, 2008lead tape with trajectory

Report This

Quote:

Originally Posted by alchemist

Ralph, adding lead tape to D0 is work great for me. Thanks for your suggestion.

For my 8-Iron and 9-Iron which need to lengthen, my steel shaft has 0.610 butt size and I cannot see any Shaft Butt Extenders with this size. The closest are 0.600 and 0.620 inch. Can I use any of them instead or there are other products to serve for this 0.610 size.

Another question is will I gain distance back from extending shaft 1/4 inch on my 8-iron and 9-iron to match original length. I have lost about 10 yards for both clubs compared with original shaft with standard length.

I also have another question. If I put lead tape high in the back of iron, will it lower down the ball trajectory?

• 9:12AM - Mar 29, 2008RE: EYE2 SwingWeight

Report This

Ralph, adding lead tape to D0 is work great for me. Thanks for your suggestion.

For my 8-Iron and 9-Iron which need to lengthen, my steel shaft has 0.610 butt size and I cannot see any Shaft Butt Extenders with this size. The closest are 0.600 and 0.620 inch. Can I use any of them instead or there are other products to serve for this 0.610 size.

Another question is will I gain distance back from extending shaft 1/4 inch on my 8-iron and 9-iron to match original length. I have lost about 10 yards for both clubs compared with original shaft with standard length.

• 2:47PM - Dec 15, 2007RE: EYE2 SwingWeight

Report This

alchemist, the absolute minimum you need to get to is C-9, but D-0 is best. To be sure, take your 6 and 7 iron out to a range and hit about 10 balls or so with each club. Next, add about 15 to 20” of lead tape low in the cavity of each club. Now hit 10 more balls with each. The clubs should feel a lot better to you with the added weight. You do not want to put this much weight down the hosel as it alters the center of gravity too much. Regarding your 8 and 9 iron, you should lengthen them. The GolfWorks sells shaft butt extenders which are quite easy to install. Most of ther older Ping Eye 2’s that I run into are in the C7 to C-8 range, but I do find some at D-0 and even up to D-2. Yes, today we have basically found that you do not want to go with light swingweights. You can hit it farther, but usually not as solid (off center hits) and not as good regarding directional control.

• 11:56PM - Dec 14, 2007EYE2 SwingWeight

Report This

Dear Ralph, I have re-shafted my Ping Eye2 iron set and got some questions. Original shaft is Ping K-Shaft steel (106g.) that too Stiff for me. I re-shaft my 5-9-iron with N.S.Pro950GH Weight Flow R-Flex that pull out from Tourstage VIQ2005 (weight 95-99g.) same spec. with modern Ping AWT shaft. Keep same Golf Pride Tour Velvet .58 ribbed grip.

I have measured the length and swingweight of each iron before do anything and got #5; 37.75”; C6 | #6; 37.25”; C5 | #7; 36.75”; C6 | #8; 36.25”; C5 | #9; 35.75”; C5.5

After I re-shafted it and add 4 grams plug-weight in the hosel, I got #5; 37.75”; C6.5 | #6; 37.25”; C6 | #7; 36.75”; C7 | #8; 36.00”; C6 | #9; 35.50”; C6

My questions are
    • Why original Ping Eye2 irons have swingweight at around C5-C6, is it standard for that old day?
    • What should I do to have swingweight that you suggested at D0?
    • Are there any affect from shorter length in my 8-iron and 9-iron? Should I extend the shaft to get the same length and please suggest how?